Next Melbourne Guide: Autumn 2022
Plot your Next adventure with our latest city guide to enjoying the best of Melbourne this season…
The leaves are starting to turn, days are a little shorter, nights are a little cooler and a collection of headline events fill the calendar – Autumn may well be the most quintessentially Melbourne time of year.
With the outlook brimming with everything from food to floral; sports cars to comedy, our latest guide helps you plan a city staycation timed with your favourite way to enjoy Marvellous Melbourne…
The world-renowned Melbourne Food & Wine Festival kicks off on 25th March for its 30th year. The city comes alive with 14 days of events, special guests, long lunches, pop ups, chef takeovers, fine dining, and pure fun. Even those venues not taking part in the Festival seem to have an extra spring in their step this time of year. (After 2 years of lockdowns, we think they’ve earned it!) We have our eye on these evens from this year’s Festival:
- Spend the afternoon the newest drinks from all over Victoria at New Crush: you can taste and talk about wine, spirits, beers, cider and nolo drinks; plus there will be music, snacks and of course the most innovative beverages around (tix here)
- Maximum Chips is a party like no other, with drinks DJ and all the chips you can eat, held in the iconic market sheds at the nearby Queen Victoria Market that’s just a hop, skip and jump from the hotel (tix here)
- From the Signature Chef Series – Pipit at Amaru – Noma alumnus Ben Devlin brings the creative energy and sense of adventure of his restaurant Pipit from the Northern Rivers of New South Wales to cutting-edge Armadale restaurant Amaru. (buy tix here).
The annual Melbourne Flower & Garden Show (30 Mar – 3 Apr) is Australia’s most loved flower and garden show and renowned the world over. Held just a short meander from Next Hotel, at the glorious Royal Exhibition Building & Carlton Gardens, it’s a breathtaking array of floral displays, botanically inspired fashion, retail, masterclasses and educational events. Tickets here
Our “must see” sessions include:
- The Great Hall of Flowers is not to be missed, featuring Victoria’s leading florists and floral designers in a simply stunning display.
- The RMIT Floral Fashion exhibit, also part of the Great Hall of Flowers
- Workshops: including Japanese kokedama, Floral wearables by artist Julia Rose, and an exciting range of sculpture demonstrations.
Into the limelight…
Dinner and a show? Create a theatrical evening that starts with pre-theatre supper in the acclaimed La Madonna before skipping off to see a world class show at one of the many historical theatres near the Hotel.
Have our concierge get you tickets to one of these, there’s something on offer every night of the week:
- Moulin Rouge – Now Playing at the Regent Theatre and every bit the “spectacular spectacular”. Last tickets available before the show departs next month…
- Hamilton – until 31 Jul – the Tony Award winner is showing at Her Majesty’s Theatre with an all Australian or Kiwi principal cast.
- Melbourne International Comedy Festival – kicks off from 30 Mar to 24 Apr with over 450 shows at multiple venues throughout the city from intimate clubs to the grand stages of the Melbourne Town Hall
- Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (20 May to 12 June) – the rags to riches fairy tale is back with a contemporary take at the sumptuous Regent Theatre
Art by design…
Melbourne Design Week (until 20 Mar) kicks off on with over 300 events – Melbourne’s showrooms, ateliers, the National Gallery of Victoria, museums and public spaces host events that explore the theme Design the World you want.
We have our eyes on the Melbourne Design Fair – to be held in Abbotsford, showcasing the best collectible contemporary design from over hundred different Australian designers and makers. Expect presentations and works for sale, including limited edition, rare items and one offs.
Hear them roar…
For a change of pace (and we do mean, pace) the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix is back after a two year hiatus (7-10 Apr). Experience the electric atmosphere of Albert Park as it transforms into a circuit for the world’s best drivers as they drive to the limits. Tickets here
Post exploring, post event or post show, we highly recommend settling back in at the Hotel, barrel-aged cocktail in hand within the golden lit surrounds of La Madonna’s acclaimed city bar. More on our barrel-ageing here, that’s plotting a host of seasonally inspired creations too…
More on that here.